12 October 2009

Karratha, Dampier, Wickham Australia Feb 2007

Google Map
This was a 3 weeks business trip to Western Australia. I was there to repair the company's vessel and getting her ready for the annual inspection in Dampier. During this period of time, I missed celebrating the Lunar Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day and my damn Birthday all alone.



At 4am in the morning, flying from Perth Airport on a domestic flight, it took about 2hrs to reach Karratha. At that time of the year, the weather was really warm. Sometime in the noon it would reach around 45 deg C. I have never seen so many road-kill Kangaroos. Almost every morning on my way to work, I see a new dead kangaroo. These are the only National creature that is allow to hunt.

Dampier is totally out of this world, you would feel that you are on the planet Mars, red sand and rocks everywhere. The only nearby decent town is Karratha which is 20Km away. I did manage to get a weekend off and drove 65Km to Wickham to taste their best Fish 'n' Chip in these area.




My room for 3 weeks, bad internet connection, only one lousy bar that you might get a chance to see a topless waitress and one supermarket in the whole area.


 At least I got a room with a view of the ocean.


every evening this kangaroo would pass by my window


one of the only industry in the area


far away you can see 2 white mountain...they are salt


sometimes I would wonder if I am on planet Earth


a jack-up rig that I need to get her ready


old left over cowboy town




















that's my rented car





one of the few trees around





old train station if I remembered correctly


Wickham Town











I drove 65km just to have a taste of their best fish 'n' chip


it's really good....best Fish 'n' Chip








so much about road-kill




Had enough of Chips....finally I get one Asian meal in Karratha...Mutton Curry Rice. Not the best but enough to satisfy my craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment